Friday, November 2, 2007

Wish List: The Ethnic Paris Cookbook

The Ethnic Paris Cookbook by Charlotte Puckette and Olivia Kiang-Snaije

When I lived in Berlin, I didn't eat very much German food. I ate a lot of Turkish and Indian food, and some Vietnamese and Cuban. I ate some Chinese and a little Italian. I ate sushi. I went deep into West Berlin to get my breakfast fix at Tim's Canadian Deli (I love you, Egg-streamly Cheesy Omelette). I tried in vain to find Mexican food that didn't want to put gelatin in ketchup and call it salsa. Oh, there was one place, on Fredrickstrasse, or whatever Fredrickstrasse turns into when it goes north past the graveyard and turns a little bit, but I went there only once and can't remember its name.

Anyway. I was fascinated to learn that Paris has decent Tex-Mex, and that they make it with French ingredients like creme-fraiche instead of sour cream. I was further fascinated to find out that this cookbook includes recipes from these restaurants, as well as restaurants from pretty much all over the world.

Cool, right?

Geeky, right?

No comments: