Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Wish List: The Complete Thomas Keller: The French Laundry Cookbook & Bouchon

The Complete Thomas Keller: The French Laundry Cookbook & Bouchon by Thomas Keller

Oh my goodness. This book is shiny and lush and new and chock full of pictures and I can't help myself from wholly coveting it despite the fact that it would go almost entirely against every standard I've constructed for myself in regards to cookbook acquisition.

I don't care. They wrap it in cellophane at the bookstore so I can't flip through it and walk away, quasi-satiated. I want to cook fancy, trendy, expensive, gourmet restaurant, (gasp) foodie things sometimes. It's the holidays and I want to indulge myself. And then I'll go back to Craig and Marcella and Julia and Simone and Mimi and James and their colorless worlds designed for the home cook interested in execution and nutrition and simple perfection and I will breath a sigh of relief that I am back from my vacation to the world of the consumer crazed, fancily stacked and garnished, sparingly sauced, sexy, seductive... I'm drooling.

Then again, Keller might surprise me. Perhaps he's got a bit of a poet in him. Who knows?

1 comment:

Chris Thorn said...

MMM. Like your blog. Love this post. I had forgotten about these and have just orded both from the library. I have been eating at the new Belgian Brasserie on Monroe street and loving the fairly simple, but well crafted food.

Keep up the good work.